To improve security and privacy, we are moving our web pages and services from HTTP to HTTPS.
To give users of web services time to transition to HTTPS, we will support separate HTTP and HTTPS services until the end of 2017.
From January 2018 most HTTP traffic will be automatically redirected to HTTPS. [more...]
View this page in https

ENZYME entry: EC 3.2.1.178

Accepted Name
Beta-porphyranase.
Alternative Name(s)
Endo-beta-porphyranase.
Porphyranase.
Reaction catalysed
Hydrolysis of beta-D-galactopyranose-(1->4)-alpha-L-galactopyranose-6-sulfate linkages in porphyran
Comment(s)
  • The backbone of porphyran consists largely (approximately 70%) of (1->3)-linked beta-D-galactopyranose followed by (1->4)-linked alpha- L-galactopyranose-6-sulfate (the other 30% are mostly agarobiose repeating units of (1->3)-linked beta-D-galactopyranose followed by (1->4)-linked 3,6-anhydro-alpha-L-galactopyranose).
  • This enzyme cleaves the (1->4) linkages between beta-D- galactopyranose and alpha-L-galactopyranose-6-sulfate, forming mostly the disaccharide alpha-L-galactopyranose-6-sulfate-(1->3)-beta-D- galactose, although some longer oligosaccharides of even number of residues are also observed.
  • Since the enzyme is inactive on the non-sulfated agarose portion of the porphyran backbone, some agarose fragments are also included in the products.
  • Methylation of the D-galactose prevents its binding at position -1.
Cross-references
BRENDA3.2.1.178
EC2PDB3.2.1.178
ExplorEnz3.2.1.178
PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles3.2.1.178
KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature3.2.1.178
IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature3.2.1.178
IntEnz3.2.1.178
MEDLINEFind literature relating to 3.2.1.178
MetaCyc3.2.1.178
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot
B5CY96, PORA_BACPM;  D7GXG0, PORA_ZOBGA;  B5CY92, PORB_BACPM;  
D7GXF9, PORB_ZOBGA;  D7GXG1, PORC_ZOBGA;  D7GXG2, PORD_ZOBGA;  
D7GXG3, PORE_ZOBGA;  

View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)

All UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries referenced in this entry, with possibility to download in different formats, align etc.
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 3.2.1.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 3.2.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 3.-.-.-