Due to scheduled maintenance work, this service will not be available from Tuesday August 23rd 06:00 pm until Wednesday August 24th 08:00 am CEST
. Apologies for the inconvenience.
ENZYME entry: EC 22.214.171.1248
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|nicotine blue oxidoreductase.
- 3,3'-bipyridine-2,2',5,5',6,6'-hexol + NADP(+) <=> (E)-2,2',5,5'-tetrahydroxy-6H,6'H-(3,3'-bipyridinylidene)-6,6'-dione + 3 H(+) + NADPH
- 3,3'-bipyridine-2,2',5,5',6,6'-hexol + NAD(+) <=> (E)-2,2',5,5'-tetrahydroxy-6H,6'H-(3,3'-bipyridinylidene)-6,6'-dione + 3 H(+) + NADH
- The enzyme, characterized from the nicotine degrading bacterium
Arthrobacter nicotinovorans, catalyzes the reduction of 'nicotine
blue' to its hydroquinone form (the opposite direction from that
- Nicotine blue is the name given to the compound formed by the
autocatalytic condensation of two molecules of 2,3,6-
trihydroxypyridine, an intermediate in the nicotine degradation
- The main role of the enzyme may be to prevent the intracellular
formation of nicotine blue semiquinone radicals, which by redox
cycling would lead to the formation of toxic reactive oxygen species.
- The enzyme possesses a slight preference for NADH over NADPH.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||126.96.36.1998|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.528|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||184.108.40.2068|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 220.127.116.118|
|Rhea expert-curated reactions||18.104.22.1688|
entries corresponding to 1.1.1.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.1.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-