ENZYME entry: EC 220.127.116.11
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|Glutaredoxin + ROOH <=> glutaredoxin disulfide + H(2)O + ROH|
- Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are a ubiquitous family of antioxidant
- They can be divided into three classes: typical 2-Cys, atypical 2-Cys
and 1-Cys peroxiredoxins .
- The peroxidase reaction comprises two steps centered around a redox-
active cysteine called the peroxidatic cysteine.
- All three peroxiredoxin classes have the first step in common,
in which the peroxidatic cysteine attacks the peroxide substrate and
is oxidized to S-hydroxycysteine (a sulfenic acid).
- The second step of the peroxidase reaction, the regeneration of
cysteine from S-hydroxycysteine, distinguishes the three
- For typical 2-Cys Prxs, in the second step, the peroxidatic
S-hydroxycysteine from one subunit is attacked by the 'resolving'
cysteine located in the C-terminus of the second subunit, to form an
intersubunit disulfide bond, which is then reduced by one of several
cell-specific thiol-containing reductants completing the catalytic
- In the atypical 2-Cys Prxs, both the peroxidatic cysteine and its
resolving cysteine are in the same polypeptide, so their reaction
forms an intrachain disulfide bond.
- To recycle the disulfide, known atypical 2-Cys Prxs appear to use
thioredoxin as an electron donor.
- The 1-Cys Prxs conserve only the peroxidatic cysteine, so its
regeneration involves direct interaction with a reductant molecule.
- Glutaredoxin-dependent peroxiredoxins have been reported from
bacteria, fungi, plants, and animals.
- These enzymes are often able to use an alternative reductant such as
thioredoxin or glutathione.
- Formerly EC 18.104.22.168.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||22.214.171.124|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||126.96.36.199|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 184.108.40.206|
|Rhea expert-curated reactions||220.127.116.11|
|Q69TY4, PR2E1_ORYSJ; ||Q7F8S5, PR2E2_ORYSJ; ||P34227, PRX1_YEAST; |
|Q7G959, PRX2A_ARATH; ||Q9XEX2, PRX2B_ARATH; ||Q9SRZ4, PRX2C_ARATH; |
|Q9FR35, PRX2C_ORYSJ; ||O22711, PRX2D_ARATH; ||Q949U7, PRX2E_ARATH; |
|Q9M7T0, PRX2F_ARATH; ||Q9SDD6, PRX2F_ORYSJ; ||A9PCL4, PRX2_POPTR; |
entries corresponding to 1.11.1.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.11.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-