|Alkyl hydroperoxide reductase.|
|NADH + ROOH + H(+) <=> NAD(+) + H(2)O + ROH|
- Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are a ubiquitous family of antioxidant
- They can be divided into three classes: typical 2-Cys, atypical 2-Cys
and 1-Cys peroxiredoxins (1).
- The peroxidase reaction comprises two steps centered around a redox-
active cysteine called the peroxidatic cysteine.
- All three peroxiredoxin classes have the first step in common,
in which the peroxidatic cysteine attacks the peroxide substrate and
is oxidized to S-hydroxycysteine (a sulfenic acid).
- The second step of the peroxidase reaction, the regeneration of
cysteine from S-hydroxycysteine, distinguishes the three
- For typical 2-Cys Prxs, in the second step, the peroxidatic
S-hydroxycysteine from one subunit is attacked by the 'resolving'
cysteine located in the C-terminus of the second subunit, to form an
intersubunit disulfide bond, which is then reduced by one of several
cell-specific thiol-containing reductants completing the catalytic
- In the atypical 2-Cys Prxs, both the peroxidatic cysteine and its
resolving cysteine are in the same polypeptide, so their reaction
forms an intrachain disulfide bond.
- The 1-Cys Prxs conserve only the peroxidatic cysteine, so its
regeneration involves direct interaction with a reductant molecule.
- This bacterial peroxiredoxin differs from most other forms by
comprising two types of subunits.
- One subunit (AhpC) is a typical 2-Cys peroxiredoxin.
- Following the reduction of the substrate, one AhpC subunit forms a
disulfide bond with an identical unit.
- The disulfide bond is reduced by the second type of subunit (AhpF).
- This second subunit is a flavin-containing protein that uses
electrons from NADH to reduce the cysteine residues on the
AhpC subunits back to their active state.
- Formerly EC 18.104.22.168.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||22.214.171.124|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||126.96.36.199|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 184.108.40.206|
|P82954, AHPC_ACICA; ||K0J4Q8, AHPC_AMPXN; ||P26830, AHPC_BACAY; |
|P80239, AHPC_BACSU; ||P57279, AHPC_BUCAI; ||Q8K9W0, AHPC_BUCAP; |
|Q89AS1, AHPC_BUCBP; ||P83117, AHPC_DELAC; ||P0AE10, AHPC_ECO57; |
|P0AE09, AHPC_ECOL6; ||P0AE08, AHPC_ECOLI; ||P56876, AHPC_HELPJ; |
|P21762, AHPC_HELPY; ||Q02UU0, AHPC_PSEAB; ||P72314, AHPC_RHORU; |
|P0A252, AHPC_SALTI; ||P0A251, AHPC_SALTY; ||P0AE11, AHPC_SHIFL; |
|Q2FJN4, AHPC_STAA3; ||P0A0B7, AHPC_STAA8; ||Q2YVK2, AHPC_STAAB; |
|Q5HIR5, AHPC_STAAC; ||P0A0B5, AHPC_STAAM; ||P99074, AHPC_STAAN; |
|Q6GJR7, AHPC_STAAR; ||Q6GC91, AHPC_STAAS; ||P0A0B6, AHPC_STAAW; |
|Q5HRY1, AHPC_STAEQ; ||Q8CMQ2, AHPC_STAES; ||Q4L376, AHPC_STAHJ; |
|Q49UT8, AHPC_STAS1; |