ENZYME entry: EC 18.104.22.168
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|2 glutathione + ROOH <=> glutathione disulfide + H(2)O + ROH|
- Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are a ubiquitous family of antioxidant
- They can be divided into three classes: typical 2-Cys, atypical 2-Cys
and 1-Cys peroxiredoxins.
- The peroxidase reaction comprises two steps centered around a redox-
active cysteine called the peroxidatic cysteine.
- All three peroxiredoxin classes have the first step in common,
in which the peroxidatic cysteine attacks the peroxide substrate and
is oxidized to S-hydroxycysteine (a sulfenic acid).
- The second step of the peroxidase reaction, the regeneration of
cysteine from S-hydroxycysteine, distinguishes the three
- For typical 2-Cys Prxs, in the second step, the peroxidatic
S-hydroxycysteine from one subunit is attacked by the 'resolving'
cysteine located in the C-terminus of the second subunit, to form an
intersubunit disulfide bond, which is then reduced by one of several
cell-specific thiol-containing reductants completing the catalytic
- In the atypical 2-Cys Prxs, both the peroxidatic cysteine and its
resolving cysteine are in the same polypeptide, so their reaction
forms an intrachain disulfide bond.
- The 1-Cys Prxs conserve only the peroxidatic cysteine, so its
regeneration involves direct interaction with a reductant molecule.
- Glutathione-dependent peroxiredoxins have been reported from bacteria
and animals, and appear to be 1-Cys enzymes.
- The mechanism for the mammalian PRDX6 enzyme involves
heterodimerization of the enzyme with pi-glutathione S-transferase,
followed by glutathionylation of the oxidized cysteine residue.
- Subsequent dissociation of the heterodimer yields glutathionylated
peroxiredoxin, which is restored to the active form via spontaneous
reduction by a second glutathione molecule.
- Formerly EC 22.214.171.124.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||126.96.36.199|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||184.108.40.206|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 220.127.116.11|
|O77834, PRDX6_BOVIN; ||Q5ZJF4, PRDX6_CHICK; ||P30041, PRDX6_HUMAN; |
|Q2PFL9, PRDX6_MACFA; ||P86215, PRDX6_MESAU; ||O08709, PRDX6_MOUSE; |
|Q9TSX9, PRDX6_PIG; ||Q5R7E0, PRDX6_PONAB; ||O35244, PRDX6_RAT; |
|P34227, PRX1_YEAST; ||P44758, PRX5_HAEIN; ||O69777, PRX5_RHIET; |
|Q53212, PRX5_SINFN; ||P73728, PRX5_SYNY3; |
entries corresponding to 1.11.1.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.11.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-