- Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are a ubiquitous family of antioxidant
- They can be divided into three classes: typical 2-Cys, atypical 2-Cys
and 1-Cys peroxiredoxins (2).
- The peroxidase reaction comprises two steps centered around a redox-
active cysteine called the peroxidatic cysteine.
- All three peroxiredoxin classes have the first step in common,
in which the peroxidatic cysteine attacks the peroxide substrate and
is oxidized to S-hydroxycysteine (a sulfenic acid).
- The second step of the peroxidase reaction, the regeneration of
cysteine from S-hydroxycysteine, distinguishes the three
- For typical 2-Cys Prxs, in the second step, the peroxidatic
S-hydroxycysteine from one subunit is attacked by the 'resolving'
cysteine located in the C-terminus of the second subunit, to form an
intersubunit disulfide bond, which is then reduced by one of several
cell-specific thiol-containing reductants completing the catalytic
- In the atypical 2-Cys Prxs, both the peroxidatic cysteine and its
resolving cysteine are in the same polypeptide, so their reaction
forms an intrachain disulfide bond.
- The 1-Cys Prxs conserve only the peroxidatic cysteine, so its
regeneration involves direct interaction with a reductant molecule.
- Two types of lipoyl-dependent peroxiredoxins have been reported from
- One type is the AhpC/AhpD system, originally described from
- In that system, AhpC catalyzes reduction of the substrate, resulting
in an intramolecular disulfide.
- AhpD then forms an intermolecular disulfide crosslink with AhpC,
reducing it back to active state.
- AhpD is reduced in turn by lipoylated proteins.
- The second type, which has been characterized in Xylella fastidiosa,
consists of only one type of subunit, which interacts directly with
- Formerly EC 220.127.116.11.
|A0R1V9, AHPC_MYCS2; ||P9WQB6, AHPC_MYCTO; ||P9WQB7, AHPC_MYCTU; |
|C1F4K1, AHPD_ACIC5; ||B8J9Z2, AHPD_ANAD2; ||Q2IMQ8, AHPD_ANADE; |
|A7HCA3, AHPD_ANADF; ||B4UA87, AHPD_ANASK; ||A8HQP5, AHPD_AZOC5; |
|B2IHZ4, AHPD_BEII9; ||Q9ANL0, AHPD_BRADU; ||A5ENR3, AHPD_BRASB; |
|A4YYT0, AHPD_BRASO; ||B2SAW2, AHPD_BRUA1; ||Q2YKW2, AHPD_BRUA2; |
|Q578J2, AHPD_BRUAB; ||A9MBZ4, AHPD_BRUC2; ||Q8YCF2, AHPD_BRUME; |
|A9WZ04, AHPD_BRUSI; ||Q8FVW4, AHPD_BRUSU; ||Q9A268, AHPD_CAUVC; |
|B8GVX4, AHPD_CAUVN; ||C3PGV9, AHPD_CORA7; ||Q6NGT4, AHPD_CORDI; |
|C4LJ26, AHPD_CORK4; ||B6IZ19, AHPD_COXB2; ||A9KBI4, AHPD_COXBN; |
|A9N917, AHPD_COXBR; ||Q83BM5, AHPD_COXBU; ||Q0RH96, AHPD_FRAAA; |
|A8L1J2, AHPD_FRASN; ||A9H8D2, AHPD_GLUDA; ||Q0BUC5, AHPD_GRABC; |
|Q0BXT2, AHPD_HYPNA; ||Q1IJ49, AHPD_KORVE; ||Q0AKM4, AHPD_MARMM; |
|B0UAJ8, AHPD_METS4; ||B8EJZ2, AHPD_METSB; ||A0QGI9, AHPD_MYCA1; |
|B1MJX0, AHPD_MYCA9; ||P0A5N5, AHPD_MYCBO; ||A1KLC4, AHPD_MYCBP; |
|C1AQZ5, AHPD_MYCBT; ||B2HD59, AHPD_MYCMM; ||Q73ZL4, AHPD_MYCPA; |
|Q50441, AHPD_MYCS2; ||A5U5C5, AHPD_MYCTA; ||P9WQB4, AHPD_MYCTO; |
|P9WQB5, AHPD_MYCTU; ||A0PSD4, AHPD_MYCUA; ||Q5YT53, AHPD_NOCFA; |
|A6X5N3, AHPD_OCHA4; ||B6IQZ3, AHPD_RHOCS; ||C0ZYQ9, AHPD_RHOE4; |
|Q07I00, AHPD_RHOP5; ||Q20Y19, AHPD_RHOPB; ||Q02BZ5, AHPD_SOLUE; |
|A5VCB6, AHPD_SPHWW; ||Q82IC5, AHPD_STRAW; ||Q7AKI6, AHPD_STRCO; |
|B1W2G7, AHPD_STRGG; ||Q9X5V1, AHPD_STRVD; |