ENZYME entry: EC 220.127.116.11
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|[histone H3]-trimethyl-L-lysine(36) demethylase.
|2 2-oxoglutarate + N(6),N(6),N(6)-trimethyl-L-lysyl(36)-[histone H3] + 2 O2 <=> 2 CO2 + 2 formaldehyde + N(6)-methyl-L-lysyl(36)-[histone H3] + 2 succinate|
- Requires iron(II).
- This entry describes a group of enzymes that demethylate N-methylated
Lys(36) residues in the tail of the histone protein H3 (H3K36).
- This lysine residue can exist in three methylation states (mono-,
di- and trimethylated), but this group of enzymes only act on the the
tri- and di-methylated forms.
- The enzymes are dioxygenases and act by hydroxylating the methyl
group, forming an unstable hemiaminal that leaves as formaldehyde.
- Since trimethylation of H3K36 enhances transcription, this enzyme
acts as a transcription repressor.
- The enzymes that possess this activity often also catalyze the
activity of EC 18.104.22.168, cf. EC 22.214.171.124.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||126.96.36.199|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||184.108.40.206|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 220.127.116.11|
|Rhea expert-curated reactions||18.104.22.168|
entries corresponding to 1.14.11.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.14.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-