Due to work on this service, it may not be fully operational on Wednesday March 20 between 1.30 pm and 2.30 pm CEST
. Apologies for the inconvenience.
A new class EC 7, Translocases, has been added to the EC list. It will be part of ENZYME from release 2018_10. Read more about EC 7 here.
ENZYME entry: EC 18.104.22.168
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|Neural precursor cell expressed developmentally down-regulated protein 2.|
|Strict requirement for an Asp residue at P1, with 316-asp being essential for proteolytic activity and has a preferred cleavage sequence of Val-Asp-Val-Ala-Asp-|-|
- Caspase-2 is an initiator caspase, as are caspases-8 (EC 22.214.171.124),
caspase-9 (EC 126.96.36.199) and caspase-10 (EC 188.8.131.52).
- Contains a caspase-recruitment domain (CARD) in its N-terminal
prodomain, which plays a role in procaspase activation.
- Two forms of caspase-2 exist that have antagonistic effects: caspase-
2L induces programd cell death and caspase-2S suppresses cell death.
- Caspase-2 is activated by caspase-3 (EC 184.108.40.206), or by a caspase-
- Activation involves cleavage of the N-terminal prodomain, followed by
self-proteolysis between the large and small subunits of pro-caspase-
2 and further proteolysis into smaller fragments.
- Proteolysis occurs at Asp residues and the preferred substrate for
this enzyme is a pentapeptide rather than a tetrapeptide.
- Apart from itself, the enzyme can cleave golgin-16, which is present
in the Golgi complex and has a cleavage site that is unique for
- Alpha-II-spectrin, a component of the membrane cytoskeleton, is a
substrate of the large isoform of pro-caspase-2 (caspase-2L) but not
of the short isoform (caspase-2S).
- Belongs to peptidase family C14.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||220.127.116.11|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||18.104.22.168|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||22.214.171.124|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 126.96.36.199|
entries corresponding to 3.4.22.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 3.4.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 3.-.-.-