Due to scheduled maintenance work, this service may not be available on Monday January 22nd between 08.00 am and 9.00 am CEST
To improve security and privacy, we are moving our web pages and services from HTTP to HTTPS.
To give users of web services time to transition to HTTPS, we will support separate HTTP and HTTPS services until the end of 2017.
From January 2018 most HTTP traffic will be automatically redirected to HTTPS. [more...] View this page in https
ENZYME entry: EC 18.104.22.168
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
in this entry
|Choline + O(2) + 2 reduced ferredoxin + 2 H(+) <=> betaine aldehyde hydrate + H(2)O + 2 oxidized ferredoxin|
- Catalyzes the first step of glycine betaine synthesis.
- In many bacteria, plants and animals, the osmoprotectant betaine is
synthesized in two steps: (1) choline to betaine aldehyde and (2)
betaine aldehyde to betaine.
- Different enzymes are involved in the first reaction.
- In plants, the reaction is catalyzed by this enzyme whereas in
animals and many bacteria, it is catalyzed by either membrane-bound
EC 22.214.171.124 or soluble EC 126.96.36.199.
- The enzyme involved in the second step, EC 188.8.131.52, appears to be the
same in plants, animals and bacteria.
- In some bacteria, betaine is synthesized from glycine through the
actions of EC 184.108.40.206 and EC 220.127.116.11.
- Formerly EC 18.104.22.168.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||22.214.171.124|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||126.96.36.199|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 184.108.40.206|
, with possibility to download in different formats, align etc.
entries corresponding to 1.14.15.-
entries corresponding to 1.14.-.-
entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-