ENZYME entry: EC 22.214.171.124
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|A 3-beta-hydroxy-4,4-dimethylsteroid + 3 NADH + 3 O(2) <=> a 3-beta-hydroxy-4-beta-carboxy-4-alpha-methylsteroid + 3 NAD(+) + 4 H(2)O|
- Contains a Rieske [2Fe-2S] iron-sulfur cluster.
- This bacterial enzyme (SdmA) participates in the biosynthesis of
- Together with SdmB it forms an enzyme system that removes one methyl
group from the C-4 position of 4,4-dimethylated steroid molecules.
- SdmA catalyzes three successive oxidations of the C-4-beta methyl
group, turning it into a carboxylate group; the second enzyme, SdmB,
is a bifunctional enzyme that catalyzes two different activities.
- As EC 126.96.36.1997 it catalyzes an oxidative decarboxylation that
results in reduction of the 3-beta-hydroxy group at the C-3 carbon to
an oxo group.
- As EC 188.8.131.520 it reduces the 3-oxo group back to a 3-beta-hydroxyl.
- Unlike the animal/fungal enzyme EC 184.108.40.206 and the plant enzymes
EC 220.127.116.11 and EC 18.104.22.168, this enzyme acts preferentially on
the 4-beta-methyl group.
- Since no epimerization of the remaining C-4-alpha methyl group
occurs, the enzyme can only remove one methyl group, leaving a
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||22.214.171.124|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||126.96.36.199|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||188.8.131.52|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 184.108.40.206|
entries corresponding to 1.14.13.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.14.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-