ENZYME entry: EC 188.8.131.52
View entry in original ENZYME format
View entry in raw text format (no links)
|choline + 2 H(+) + O2 + 2 reduced [2Fe-2S]-[ferredoxin] <=> betaine aldehyde hydrate + H2O + 2 oxidized [2Fe-2S]-[ferredoxin]|
- Catalyzes the first step of glycine betaine synthesis.
- In many bacteria, plants and animals, the osmoprotectant betaine is
synthesized in two steps: (1) choline to betaine aldehyde and (2)
betaine aldehyde to betaine.
- Different enzymes are involved in the first reaction.
- In plants, the reaction is catalyzed by this enzyme whereas in
animals and many bacteria, it is catalyzed by either membrane-bound
EC 184.108.40.206 or soluble EC 220.127.116.11.
- The enzyme involved in the second step, EC 18.104.22.168, appears to be the
same in plants, animals and bacteria.
- In some bacteria, betaine is synthesized from glycine through the
actions of EC 22.214.171.124 and EC 126.96.36.199.
- Formerly EC 188.8.131.52.
|PRIAM enzyme-specific profiles||184.108.40.206|
|KEGG Ligand Database for Enzyme Nomenclature||220.127.116.11|
|IUBMB Enzyme Nomenclature||18.104.22.168|
|MEDLINE||Find literature relating to 22.214.171.124|
|Rhea expert-curated reactions||126.96.36.199|
entries corresponding to 1.14.15.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.14.-.-
All ENZYME / UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries corresponding to 1.-.-.-